Monday, July 25, 2011
When it's a rainy day it's always nice to have some fun indoor games to play. Some of the ones I like to play with family and friends include:
- Blokus: A tetris like board game that involves strategy and defensive skills. 2-4 players
- Monopoly: This real estate game can be fun or not so fun depending on how competitive you are feeling.
- Uno: Uno can be a short game or a couple of hours long depending on if you include different variations. This game is great for a big group.
- Ticket to Ride: Build trains and try to complete strategy cards before your components. This is a fun strategy game.
- Scrabble: Scrabble involves building words in a crossword type fashion. It helps to develop those critical thinking skills.
- Rummikiub: It's like Rummy with tiles. I used to play this game with my grandmother on late summer evenings.
- Classic Card Games: There's also classic card games that are always fun to play like Go Fish, Scum, Kanasta, Rummy.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
I dislike waiting for sequels of books. I feel like it's a massive publishing company scheme. I have a couple of series that I've started, but I am waiting for the next book to come out in the fall. When of the series is the sequel to "I am Number Four." The book was quite good. It's about a young adult that's an alien try to pretend to be human to avoid being killed by an enemy race. The movie was disturbingly a little different than the book (and the book was even better). I can't wait for the next one to come out. My friend recommended the book to me. What books would you recommend to read over the summer?
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
One day, my fiance and I went fishing with a canoe and we weren't catching much, which was a little disappointing after we had caught fish after fish a couple of days before. So we decided that we were done and started heading back. As we were headed back, we noticed some fins poking out of the water like a shark. We decided to investigate and found an enormous catfish swimming on the surface even though catfish normally swim on the bottom. We threw our lines in expecting the catfish to take our bait. The catfish didn't like shrimp or worms. Then we tried to reach in and grab it, but it slid out of our hands and swam away. We then started chasing after it in the canoe. We finally got close to it, stuck a bucket in the water and the catfish swam right in to the bucket. We pulled it out of the water and were so proud of ourselves. We took it home to clean it but after cleaning it we decided were never going to catch catfish again. They are really hard to clean. You have to nail their head to the board and remove their skin with pliers. You also have to avoid getting stung by their antennas. So that's one way to catch a catfish.
Monday, July 18, 2011
here to like them on Facebook and to sign up to get free lettuce wraps.
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
The grilled chicken turned out great. I started putting bread crumbs on the chicken, but then I ran out of bread crumbs and used crumbled Cheez-Its, garlic powder, onion powder, and Italian seasoning to season the chicken. The potatoes also turned out really yummy. We sliced up potatoes, dipped them in oil and sprinkled salt on them. We also heated up some frozen green beans in the microwave. Since then we've grilled hot dogs and hamburgers. Grills are so much fun!
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
- Helps improve health: It might not reduce all your medical ailments since those depend on other factors, but it will help manage chronic diseases and help reduce your chances of health risks.
- Strengthens and tones: Your body will gradually start losing the fat and improve your muscle strengthen and tone.
- Enhances flexibility: Flexibility helps prevent injuries and strains on your muscles.
- It makes us feel mentally better: Exercise helps boost your mood and reduce stress.
- Sleep better at night: It help energize you during the day and help you to relax better at night.
- Helps your bones to become stronger.
- More Energy
- Brain Power: Able to remember things more effectively
Also if you're wondering how often you should exercise, start off with 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week then gradually start cross training with different types of exercise and increasing it to an hour a day.
Exercise 7 Benefits of regular physical activity
Why Exercise? How Exercise Benefits Your Health & How to Begin
Why Exercise Makes Us Feel Good
Ever Wonder Why Exercise is Good For You?
Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin
Monday, July 11, 2011
half-off. To make a cheesecake, reference recipes at: All Recipes.
Friday, July 8, 2011
here and go to Panda Express. You can receive FREE Garlic Chicken with ANY purchase. Not only that but if you wear black pants, cut out white spots and paste them all over you, add some horns, and maybe a bell; you can go to Chick-fil-a and get a free combo meal. That's right if you stomp out your dignity and dress like a cow, you can get a FREE meal! (I am also a Chick-Fil-a Fan.) Check it out by going here.
Friday, July 8, 2011
Most girls dream about their wedding to the exact detail of how their hair will be arranged, where they will get married and what colors they will have. Right after I got engaged (the very week), people were asking me about details and even what my colors would be. I didn't know and wasn't sure if it was even necessary, but it is if you want to coordinate outfits and all. I went from wedding site to wedding site until my mom sent me a link for The Dessy Group, there I was able to take a look at pantone colors and pick out a few swatches that I liked. Out of all the sites, that was the site that helped the most. I was able to pick a shade and compare it with other colors, side by site. Even though I've picked three, I still want to make sure I can get flowers to match!
Thursday, July 7, 2011
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Are you looking for something to read this summer? Here are some romantic classics to check out at your local bookstore or library:
- Emma by Jane Austin
- Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin
- The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- The Hand of Ethelberta by Thomas Hardy
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
- Cecila by Francis Burney
- Evaline by Francis Burney
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
- Wutherings Height by Emily Bronte
- Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Monday, July 4, 2011
Here are some family-type movie suggestions for celebrating the Fourth:
- National Treasure
- Yankee Doodle Dandy
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- Johnny Tremain
- April Morning
- Operation Petticoat
- The Music Man
- The Fighting Sullivans
- Pearl Harbor
- The Great Escape
- A League of Their Own
- Tall Tale
- John Adams
Monday, July 4, 2011
- Picnic with Family
- Go to a Parade
- Watch Fireworks
- Do something relaxing
- Hike a national park in your area
- Tour local historical sites on American History
- Tour veteran's memorials in your area
- Watch a war-time movie or movie on American History
- Thank a vet
Saturday, July 2, 2011
- It's actually healthier to not make your bed in the morning. An unmade bed is less appealing to bed bugs and dust mites. Check out this reference.
- Why waste your time when you're just going to get back into it?
- Extra effort in the morning when you have to get ready for the day.
- A made bed makes the room looker neater and more organized.
- It helps you start the day feeling accomplished.
- It prevents you from rolling back into bed in the morning.
Friday, July 1, 2011
I am not usually a fan of buying DVD's of television shows. I've never even found a television show that I've liked to watch more than once until I found The Middle. The Middle features a disfunctional/functional family. The show is extremely clean and is even funnier than the Office (imagine that). I can watch the episodes over and over again and still end of laughing hysterically at the crazy antics. Even though Season Two doesn't come out till September/October, I have it pre-ordered through Amazon that's how good it is. Am I crazy or what to like a series that much to actually own the episodes on DVD?
Friday, July 1, 2011
If you're like me the kids section of library can be daunting. I don't have kids, but I do have a lot of nannying experience and took the kids to the library a lot and I read books to a girl with MRDD at Hattie Larlhams. Here are some suggestions I have for fun books to read with your kids over the summer. Remember reading with them helps them want to read, increases their desire to learn and helps them in school.
- Olivia by Ian Falconer
- Olivia Forms a Band by Ian Falconer
- Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBrantney
- You're all My Favorites by Sam McBrantney
- Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
- Dooby, Dooby, Moo by Doreen Cronin
- The Very Hungry Catapillar by Eric Carle
- Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Williams
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear what do you See? by Eric Carle
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister Herbert
- If you give series.... by Laura Numeroff
- Pigsty by Mark Teague
- Lost and Found by Mark Teague
- The Secret Shortcut by Mark Teague
- Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
- How do Dinosaurs say I love you? by Jane Yolan
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- The Mitten by Jan Brett