The less you spend on clothes for you and your family, the more money you have to save or use for bills! Here are several ways to get free or super cheap clothes for you and your family:
1. Host a Clothing Swap: Get a group of friends together and have everyone bring clothes that they don't need or want anymore and let your friends (and you choose) from the clothes. There's a great tutorial located here.
2. Schoola Credit: Schoola is an online consignment website that donates a portion of their sales to schools. Schoola also offers free credit for referrals and creating a custom collection and new members. Right now, new members can get a $10 credit and you can get a $10 credit for referring friends. If you are interested in getting a $10 credit, please use my referral link here. I've used the new member credit to get several clothes for my son!
3. Thredup Credit: Thredup is an online consignment website. Thredup offers a $10 credit for new members and/or a $10 credit for referring friends. If you are new to Thredup and would like to get a $10 credit, please use my referral link here. You can also earn cash back on any purchases made on Thredup through ebates to sign up, please use my referral link here.
4. Sign-up for Stores' Email: Some stores send out credit or coupons through their email. I would suggest signing up for your favorite stores' email program. Sometimes the coupons are high value and can be used to purchase clothing. Be sure also to list your birthday, if the company asks for it. Here are some of the stores I signed up for:
- Boden sent me a $20, $15 and $10 credit throughout 2015 for being signed up for their email. In 2016, I received a $10 credit for my birthday and half birthday. The credits do expire, but you can stack up to two credits. If I have two credits, I usually search the sale items for something within my credit amount and allowing for $5 for shipping. You can also sign-up for Boden Insiders, click here, which sends out surveys on Boden catalogs or seasonal collections. Sometimes, Boden will send out a survey and the first few hundred that respond will get either credit sent to them within a few months or entered into a drawing.
- If you are a member of Eddie Bauer Friends program and/or an email subscriber, Eddie Bauer will sometimes send out a $10 coupon that could be used on $10 or more. If you find products a little over the coupon or credit, you can get clothes for cheap! I have gotten free socks this way.
- Kohls Yes2You Rewards Program sends new members a $5 off $5 or more coupon for signing up and another coupon for $5. If you shop the sales or the kids section you might be able to find something just a little over $5. If you also get on Kohl's mailing list, Kohls send coupons throughout the year. I've gotten $10 (off $10 or more) and $15 (off $15 or more) coupons in the mail. I paired those coupons with sales and purchase just a little above the coupon to get clothes for cheap.
- JcPenney Rewards Program: JcPenney has a great reward program, and they sometimes will send you coupons in the mail- $10 (off $10 or more) and $15 (off $15 or more). I usually shop the kid's section and find something just over the coupon amount. I usually get one or two items and it's cheaper than going to a consignment store!
6. Sell/Get Credit for Clothes at Consignment Store: I've gone to consignment stores in the past year and sold excess clothes that my son didn't wear or outgrew. The store credit can then be used to purchase clothing for your kids in the next size!
7. Shop Yard Sales: Yard sales are a great way to get cheap clothing!
8. Enter Low-Entry Blog Giveaways: Blogs often get posts sponsored by companies and sometimes will offer a giveaway to help promote the company. Blogs with less followers will often have low-entry giveaways, which means there is a higher chance for you to win. Giveaway prizes greatly differ, but could include clothing items or even gift cards that could be used to get clothing items. When I tell people about entering blog giveaways, a lot of them roll their eyes or look at me like I'm crazy. Last year in 2016, I got three pairs of PrAna Jeans, PrAna top, $150 credit for Minnetonka Moccasins, $50 credit to a boutique that I used to get my son shoes, and a $25 Old Navy Gift Card. I also post most of the giveaways that I find on my blog so its more convenient for you. A lot of the time you don't win and it's a waste of time, but when you do it's great. I like to look out how many people have entered and usually go after the giveaways with less than 100 or 200.
9. Surveys for Cash/Gift Cards: Fill-out surveys online to earn enough points for gift cards and cash to use for clothing for your family. I use Harris-Poll, E-rewards, Survey-U, Tell-wut and Crowdtap.
10. Swap.com - Swap.com is an online consignment store that I discovered last year. Their prices seem pretty reasonable and you can also find books, toys, movies, and men clothing on their site. New members can get free shipping with a $10 order. With my first order last year, they sent me a coupon for $5 off my next purchase. They also frequently have really great sales. If you refer a friend to their site, you can get a $20 credit. Please use my referral link to check them out by clicking here.
What are some of your ideas?
Please note that this post contains affiliate links.