Scripture Flannel Board and People

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Learning the scriptures can be hard for little ones. I like to use visual aids to help my children learn the scriptures. With the help of a friend, I made a flannel board by taking a white canvas hot gluing flannel to it. I also made made flannel board people utilizing scripture figures from the lds.org site. The flannel board people take a little bit of time to do, but it's cheaper than buying a whole set. Here's how I made my flannel board people:


1. To find some of the scripture figures I found on lds.org, click here. Even if you're not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, this source is great for New Testament and Old Testament scripture figures.

2. After I downloaded the images, I clipped the picture in Adobe and placed in paint. I don't have refined photo editing software so I used the basic paint program. Using paint I removed any excess from the page that I didn't want (titles, duplicate scripture figures, story, etc) and then flipped the picture so that it was a mirror image. You want any text to be backwards. I then save that item as a jpg.

3. Next, I placed the images in word until I got a full page worth of images.

4. After I have a full page worth of images, I printed the page onto transfer paper. You can buy transfer paper at craft stores or you can buy it here.

5. Cut out the images from the transfer paper to reduce any white space.

6. Arrange the cut-outs on white felt (image facing felt) and iron on to the flannel. The iron must be set on the highest temperature and all water removed. You must also press the iron firmly on to the back of the transfer paper and go over it a couple of times.

7. After you've ironed the transfer paper images onto the felt. Gently, remove the transfer paper.

8. Cut images out of felt.

This may seem fairly labor intensive, but it is worth it and the more you do it the easier it becomes.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs